On Saturday 9th April a Marketors’ Fellowship Walk started at the Island Gardens DLR station with our guide John Steel.
The Marketors descended the helical staircases, allowing members to reach the gently sloping, tile-lined Greenwich Foot Tunnel in order to walk ’UNDER’ the Thames. The cast-iron tunnel is 370m long and 15.2m deep, made of cast-iron rings has an internal diameter of about 2.74m and is lined with concrete which has been surfaced with some 200,000 white glazed tiles and was originally built in 1902. At the Greenwich end the lift to the surface came out opposite the Cutty Sark.
The walk then took in historic Greenwich, Old Royal Naval College, the Queen’s House, designed by Inigo Jones and the Royal Greenwich Observatory. Through Royal Greenwich Park, designed by Andre Le Notre in the 1660s, past the Millennium Sundial and on for lunch at the Plume of Feathers, the oldest pub in Greenwich opened in 1691.
After lunch the walk continued to the river past the massive brick walls and the landing stage of Greenwich Power Station and along the Thames Path to board the Thames Clipper at Greenwich Pier. Then ‘ON’ the Thames past the O2 dome alighting at North Greenwich Pier.
Then a short walk to the Emirates Air Line Cable Car. Marketors boarded the gondola with its spectacular views of London 90 metres ‘ABOVE’ the Thames and the Excel Exhibition.
The Walk ended at the Royal Victoria Docks DLR station.
Members can read more about this event in the next edition of Marketor